Vegetables of all kinds form a valuable part of our diet. They play an important role in maintaining overall good health, due to the presence of mineral elements and vitamins. These substances help to build bones, teeth, etc., Vegetables also protect the body against diseases and regulatory body process energy and good health trust. The presence of indigestible cellulose or roughage in vegetables helps to keep bowel function regularly in the elimination of unwanted substances from the body.
green color of fresh vegetables due to the presence of the green pigment chlorophyll II . Chlorophyta II influences pH. Acidic, it changes to olive green, and base conditions, it becomes bright green. Some of the cru out of steam when the vegetables are cooking, especially if they are cooked without a cover. The yellow or orange vegetables is due to the presence of carotenoids that are not affected by normal cooking processes or changes in pH.
Root vegetables are important in the diet for the simple reason that they are presented, carbohydrates be the primary feed their element. Green vegetables are usually eaten in the form of vegetable stews and soups. To get the best possible nutrition, vegetables should be eaten raw as often as possible. Many of the valuable content can be completely destroyed by bad cook
Value Vegetables :.
Vegetables can generally be defined as herbaceous plants for culinary purposes. They are used to improve the quality of soups and also the diet of their potentials. They are made from mainly composed of cellulose, hemi-cellulose and Pectic. Sugar, starch, minerals and vitamins are also present in the vegetables. In addition to vitamins and roughage, they also contain water and minerals, namely calcium, iron, Sulphur and potash. Green vegetables provide very little other than roughage, water, iron and vitamins A, B and C be the amount of certain types of vegetables.
Fresh vegetables are important in the diet because the presence of vitamins and mineral salts. The cellulose encourages peristaltic movement and indirectly helps digestion and prevents constipation. On the other hand, old and very rough vegetables cause indigestion. Rough dry vegetables including Cow peas in different varieties, soy beans, Bambara nuts, peanuts and all other beans or dry beans are a rich source of protein and moderately rich source of thiamine. Still, peanuts extra-usually good sources of niacin
Average composition of vegetables are as follows .:
· Green vegetables: Water = 83% – 92%; Protein = 1% – 2%; Carbohydrates = 3% – 8%; Mineral = 1% – 2%; Vitamin = A, B, C, K.
· Root vegetables: Water = 75% – 85%; Protein = 0.5% – 2%; Carbohydrates = 5% – 18%; Mineral = 0.8% – 1%; Vitamin = A, B, C
· Legumes: Water = 70% – 78%; Protein = 5% – 15%; Carbs = 14% – 18%; Salts = 0.5% – 1%; Vitamin B =
Vegetables can be divided into the following categories
1. Green – (leaves) of cabbage, spinach, green beans
2 .. pear shaped roots – onions, shallots, etc.
3. The roots or tubers – potatoes, cassava, yams, carrots, Cocoyam, etc.
4. Flower or Head – Broccoli, Canliflower, Okros, pumpkin, ‘ISAPI’, etc.
5. Fruits – Eggplant, cotton seed, cashew, Benni Seed (Sesame), ‘apon’, breadfruit, cucumber, ‘Ogbono’, beans, peas, tomatoes, red and green pepper, corn, peanut, soybeans, Bambara nut. (The beans and nuts are also known as legumes and pulses.)
choice of vegetables:
Vegetables should be chosen carefully. The following points should be considered in order to get adequate nutrition benefits
1. Choose fresh, crisp vegetables of good color .. Damaged, wilted and bruised vegetables should be avoided because it is likely to be a waste and loss of nutrients.
2. Root vegetables should be firm and without spade signal.
3. Choose vegetable medium. They are more economical to cook and are usually the best flavor. Very large vegetables are often rough texture and poor taste.
4. Insects or mold-infected vegetables should be avoided.
5. Use vegetables straight from the garden or allotment whenever possible.
Finally, out-of-date methods should be discarded and a new and better methods accepted if vegetables are to take their rightful place in the diet.
For more information on Cooking Tips and Recipes Restaurant Secrets, connect to http://www.recipes-tips.com
admin October 13th, 2015
Posted In: Uncategorized